It’s not a part of senior personal care that’s as commonly talked about as other aspects of daily hygiene, but is important to keeping older adults healthy, nonetheless. Senior skin problems can be frequent occurrences, causing a variety of concerns for seniors, including discomfort, bruising, dryness, itching, and more.
The home care specialists at Dakota Home Care go to great lengths to keep older adults safe and healthy from head to toe, and that includes healthy skin. We have shared below some of the more prevalent skin problems in aging, and some guidelines to help.
According to Medscape, an overwhelming majority of people over age 65 are distressed by dry, itchy, flaky skin, which results from a reduction in sweat and oil glands.
How to help:
- The senior should take fewer showers or baths, utilizing warm (not hot) water, gently dry the skin, and apply moisturizer
- See if “dry bath” products work for the older adult; these clean the skin and hair without water
- Try using more mild soaps and shampoos, like those with Nizoral, for seniors who have special skin conditions, and always apply sunscreen before going outdoors
- Be sure the individual drinks plenty of liquids and uses a humidifier to hydrate the skin
- Stay away from:
- Overexposure to the sun
Bruising is common in older adults, resulting from thinner skin and less fat and connective tissue that can lead to a weakening of the support surrounding blood vessels.
How to help:
- To decrease the inflammation and overall size of a bruise, place a cold compress over the bruise for roughly 20 minutes
- Try to keep bruised areas elevated as much as possible
- Encourage the senior to get plenty of vitamin C, which increases collagen
- Help the person quit smoking, as smoking diminishes collagen production
The caregiving team at Dakota Home Care, the top home health agency in Bismarck, Mandan, and Fargo and the surrounding areas, is experienced in aiding with senior skin care needs. We’re here to offer help and support to your senior loved one through bathing/moisturizing, inspecting for changes in the skin, preventing bed sores, and more. Call us any time at (877) 691-0015 for a free in-home consultation to learn more about how we can help someone you love live a healthier, safer life at home.