From sunup to sundown, every day in the life of those with diabetes is loaded with a number of tasks to control the disease. Between medicines, insulin needles, monitoring blood sugar levels, physical exercise, and handling nutritional requirements, it’s common for people to have to manage stress and diabetes at the same time.
Dakota Home Care’s senior care companions understand the obstacles and struggles of diabetes care management, and share the following ideas to help manage stress and diabetes to remain in ideal health:
- Remember, none of us is perfect. Effective diabetes care doesn’t require being perfect with care every single day. It is common for some days to be better than other days and it is crucial to be forgiving of the occasional glucose fluctuation, creating opportunities to make note of lessons learned for better management in the future.
- Recognize care barriers. Barriers to diabetic care management can include:
- Requiring additional information/education on how to best provide diabetes care
- Avoiding situations that could affect the necessary care schedule
- Excuses to eliminate about getting adequate exercise
- Eating habits that might be influenced more by emotions than hunger
- Depression or other mental health concerns
- Remain upbeat. Throughout all obstacles, a positive mindset can go a long way. Rather than thinking, “I’ll never be able to manage my diabetes—I might as well resolve myself to always having health problems,” try thinking instead, “I didn’t pay enough attention to my portion sizes at breakfast; that’s why my blood sugar is too high. I am going to plan in advance and keep food portions in line with my meal plan or cover with extra insulin if I eat more than I meant to.”
- Accept help. Friends, family members, and coworkers often provide a caring shoulder to lean on. It can be helpful to advise them what is beneficial and what to watch for. In-home care is also a wonderful resource for diabetic care support and encouragement.
For additional helpful tips on reducing feelings of stress common when managing diabetes, contact Dakota Home Care at (877) 691-0015. Our fully trained and highly skilled elder care staff is available to plan and prepare wholesome and delicious meals, pick up medications, provide transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments, and much more to help manage stress and diabetes while fostering independence. Our senior care companions are available to help 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year, providing in-home care services for as much or as little as each family prefers. Serving communities by providing professional senior care companions in Bismarck/Mandan and Fargo, we look forward to helping to make life easier and more enjoyable for you and the older adults you love! See our full service area.