If you or a loved one need more care than your family can provide, a wide range of in-home care services are available. When faced with this situation for the first time, many people have no idea where to turn. What you might not know is that you don’t have to go to several different places for medical and non-medical in-home assistance, or for day, night or hourly services.
If you live in one of these North Dakota communities (click), Dakota Home Care can provide quality, affordable, personalized home care services, regardless of your age or health challenges. You can call us at (701) 663-5373 to schedule a free in-home consultation to learn how our experts in home care can help.
Whoever you talk to, it is good to have a list of questions to be answered that will make you feel comfortable and assured you are getting the quality services and care you are looking for. Every situation is different, so make note of which of these questions and related services are most likely to enable you or your loved one to get the care needed to stay at home.
- Do you have references I can talk to about their experience with the type of services I need?
- If I just need a break from caregiving now and then, do you provide respite care?
- If my loved one is in good health but can no longer manage all the tasks of daily living and/or self-care, do you have certified home health aides that can assist with a range of home care needs? (click for examples)
- Are your aides screened, trained and supervised by a skilled professional?
- What times of the day or night and for how long are your aides able to be in our home?
- Do you provide 24-hour, live-in home care services? How does the cost compare with an assisted living facility?
- Do you provide diabetic care, such as measuring insulin levels and administering shots?
- Will the same aide come every time? Why or why not?
- Are your aides trained to care for those with dementia in various stages of their disease? Are they willing and able to care for those who might exhibit aggression &/or agitation?
- Do you provide hospice and/or palliative (comfort) care? If not, do you work in conjunction with this type of provider?
- Will you create a personalized care plan that can be adjusted as needed?
- Do you work with other health care providers in our community as part of a health care team?
- How quickly can I arrange for your services? Can I cancel services or request an alternative employee at any time?
- Do you provide private nursing services by a registered or licensed practical nurse? Are you a safe and effective alternative to nursing home care? What are the benefits of staying at home?
- Are your services available in nursing homes or assisted living facilities, should I or my loved one have to move to one?
After you meet with one or more home healthcare agency representatives, consider which one can meet what are sure to be your changing needs for yourself or your loved one. Before considering a long-term care facility to provide solutions to complex medical conditions, compare the medical and non-medical benefits and the services that can be had while staying at home.
If you have additional questions, we’re here with the answers you need. Contact us any time at (701) 663-5373 to learn more about home healthcare services, and our availability in Bismarck, ND, or surrounding areas.