Serving as caregiver for an aging loved one, though incredibly fulfilling, can also cause an elevated degree of caregiver stress. The around-the-clock pressure of addressing a loved one’s care needs can quickly escalate to turn into caregiver burnout – a dangerous condition that can result in a loss of patience and emotional outbursts, having an effect on not only the caregiver personally, but the senior as well.
It’s vitally important to figure out if you might be in danger of caregiver burnout, and to know where to turn for help if needed. The quick checklist of questions below from our home care team can help uncover if you may have crossed the line from caregiver stress to caregiver burnout:
- Are you no longer finding joy in activities or hobbies/interests?
- Do you struggle with back pain, headaches, exhaustion, and/or feeling blue or depressed?
- Are you becoming sick more often than previously?
- Is your temper shorter recently, either with the older adult or other family and friends, either in private or in public?
- Do you lash out at your senior loved one when they exhibit difficult behaviors?
- Are you feeling more emotional lately? Are you crying for little or no reason?
- Are you gaining or losing weight without trying?
- Are you having difficulty with falling or staying asleep?
If your answers to these questions cause concern, it may be time to think about finding help, for both yourself and the senior in your care.
At Dakota Home Care, the top provider of home care assistance in Bismarck, Mandan, and Fargo, ND, our extensively trained and experienced care staff can partner with you in providing in-home respite care services – for a few hours per week, full-time, 24-hour care, or anything in between, providing a much-needed break to devote to your own personal needs, enjoy some downtime to relax, and to empower you to be better prepared to provide the highest quality care for your senior loved one.
Just a few of the countless ways we can help include:
- Home health aide
- CNA services
- Friendly companionship for conversations and enjoyable activities
- Preparing wholesome meals
- Assisting with household chores and laundry
- Grocery shopping and running other errands
- Providing transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and outings
- And more