Countless Americans are finding themselves in the role of providing senior care for an older family member, and although serving as a family caregiver is extremely fulfilling in many ways, the daily duties involved with senior care may come to be tedious for both the caregiver and the older adult. Dakota Home Care has a personal caregiver in Fargo, ND and surrounding areas, who wants to assist you in putting the fun back in your loved one’s day-to-day schedule. All it takes is a little inventiveness! Try some of these suggestions to help brighten your loved one’s day and make everyday senior care more enriching:
These recommendations can add some style and fun to getting dressed, doing laundry, and other chores:
- Ask your loved one to assist with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Utilize this time to discuss your day, a TV show you both like to watch, etc.
- Look at magazines and catalogs for fashions you think the other person would look good in.
- Make choosing clothes and accessories to wear every day an enjoyable occasion!
Spice Up Meals
Food defines our culture, family history and heritage, and is linked to numerous emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Including the senior in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the older adult to help in fixing a traditional family meal.
- Enjoying meals outdoors when weather allows.
Try Something New
There’s always something new to be learned, and no better time than today to explore a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are numerous virtual classes available, with some geared particularly to seniors and offering lower (or no-cost) rates. Look for opportunities to learn:
- A new language
- How to play a musical instrument
- Skills like knitting, culinary arts, gardening, painting – the options are limitless!
Dakota Home Care’s professional personal caregivers understand that providing care for an elderly loved one can be both gratifying and intimidating, and we want you to know that you are not alone. We offer friendly companionship, personal hygiene services such as showering, dressing, and grooming assistance, and motivation to engage in a variety of fun activities for seniors.